“Karen is a true professional with incredible clinical skills. I use her as a referral source often because I truly believe in her abilities.”
Karen Tantillo, DSW, LCSW
I am a licensed clinical social worker in 3 states including: Georgia (LCSW 004053), South Carolina (LISW-CP 12815), and New York (LCSW-R 040257). I received my Masters of Social Work from New York University’s Silver School of Social Work, an undergraduate degree in Psychology from Fordham University in New York City and am currently working on a Doctorate in Clinical Social Work degree from the University of Pennsylvania (DSW 2022). I have been involved in active consultation, supervision and training through the AEDP Institute since 2017. I provide individual and group clinical supervision to MSW students working toward the LCSW.
I first started working in the field of mental health and wellness over 25 years ago. Some of my first clinical experiences were in the psychiatry departments of large and urban, teaching-hospitals in the Bronx, New York, including North Central Bronx and Jacobi Medical Center. Identifying resources and social supports for my clients in a large metropolitan area became one of my first social work passions.
After a move to the southeast, I began many years of service in Community Mental Health at the Child & Adolescent program of Greenville Mental Health Center, then transitioned into private practice at Pettigru Therapy in Greenville, South Carolina.
With a growing family of my own and another relocation, I became a full-time parent for a number of years until returning to the field and starting a new practice in the North Fulton area of Atlanta in 2012.
I strongly believe in ongoing professional and personal growth as a clinical social worker and psychotherapist, seeking active consultation and pursuing training in various areas of practice with a focus on experiential, relational and emotion-focused work. I am married to my life-partner and husband who seeks to grow together and alongside me. We are the proud parents of three young adult children who are moving through their college years and experiences. In my spare time, I find fulfillment and joy in spending time with family & friends and finding meaning through the practice of mindfulness.
- Accelerated Experiential Dynamic Psychotherapy (AEDP)- Level III. Individual and Ongoing Weekly Consultation/Supervision with SueAnne Piliero, PhD- Fall 2017- 2020/present. (Completed Immersion with Diana Fosha, PhD 2017 and Essential Skills 1 & 2, 2017-2018 (NYC). Core Training with Jeanne Newhouse, NCPsyA 2018. Advanced Training with Steve Shapiro, PhD- June 2020
- Internal Family Systems Training- 2018
Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy- EFT(Externship & Core Training-2015; Advanced & Ongoing Individual/Group Consultation)
- Gottman Couples Therapy (Level 1 & 2)- 2015
- Sex Therapy Consultation & Training through AASECT
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Training and Consultation (MBSR) through Atlanta Mindfulness Institute (Stephanie Swann, PhD): 2015-2019
- EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing Therapy)- Level 1 & 2- 2015
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy Intensive Training (Trained by Dr. Michael Maslar, PsyD- Director of Mindfulness and Behavior Therapies at The Family Institute at Northwestern University)- 2015
ICEEFT -The International Centre for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy- 2015 (www.iceeft.com)
AEDP Institute – Accelerated Experiential Dynamic Psychotherapy Institute- 2016- (www.aedpinstitute.org)
Atlanta Center for Emotionally Focused Therapy – 2015 (aceft.wildapricot.org)
Georgia Society for Clinical Social Work- 2007- (www.gscsw.org)
National Association of Social Workers- Georgia Chapter- 2007 (www.naswdc.org)
The National Registry of Marriage Friendly Therapists-2017 (www.marriagefriendlytherapists.com)
American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapists (www.aasect.org)