“Karen is a true professional with incredible clinical skills. I use her as a referral source often because I truly believe in her abilities.”
Karen Tantillo, LCSW
I am a licensed clinical social worker (LCSW 004053) practicing in Alpharetta, Georgia. I received my Masters of Social Work from New York University’s Silver School of Social Work and an undergraduate degree in Psychology from Fordham University in New York City.
I first started working in the field of mental health and wellness over 25 years ago. Some of my first clinical experiences were in the psychiatry departments of large and urban, teaching-hospitals in the Bronx, New York, including North Central Bronx and Jacobi Medical Center. Identifying resources and social supports for my clients in a large metropolitan area became one of my first social work passions.
After a move to the southeast, I began many years of service in Community Mental Health at the Child & Adolescent program of Greenville Mental Health Center, then transitioned into private practice at Pettigru Therapy in Greenville, South Carolina.
With a growing family of my own and another relocation, I became a full-time parent for several years until returning to the field and starting a new practice in the North Fulton area of Atlanta in 2012.
I strongly believe in ongoing professional and personal development and growth as a clinical social worker and psychotherapist, actively pursuing advanced training in various areas of practice. I am married to my life-partner and husband who seeks to grow together and alongside me. We are the proud parents of three young adult children who are moving through their college years and experiences. In my spare time, I find fulfillment and joy in spending time with family & friends and finding meaning through the practice of mindfulness.
Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy- EFT(Externship & Core Training-2015; Advanced & Ongoing Individual/Group Consultation)
- Gottman Couples Therapy (Level 1 & 2)
- Accelerated Experiential Dynamic Psychotherapy- Level 2 (Immersion with Diana Fosha, PhD- 2017; Essential Skills 1 & Essential Skills 2; Core Training 2018 & Individual and Ongoing Consultation with SueAnne Piliero, PhD)
- Sex Therapy Consultation & Training through AASECT
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction training (MBSR)/Ongoing Study & Consultation with Stephanie Swann, PhD and Atlanta Mindfulness Institute
- EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing Therapy)- Level 1 & 2
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy Intensive Training (Trained by Dr. Michael Maslar, PsyD- Director of Mindfulness and Behavior Therapies at The Family Institute at Northwestern University)
ICEEFT -The International Centre for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy- 2015 (www.iceeft.com)
AEDP Institute – Accelerated Experiential Dynamic Psychotherapy Institute- 2016- (www.aedpinstitute.org)
Atlanta Center for Emotionally Focused Therapy – 2015 (aceft.wildapricot.org)
Georgia Society for Clinical Social Work- 2007- (www.gscsw.org)
National Association of Social Workers- Georgia Chapter- 2007 (www.naswdc.org)
The National Registry of Marriage Friendly Therapists-2017 (www.marriagefriendlytherapists.com)
American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapists (www.aasect.org)